Wednesday 2 November 2016

Hygge For Free

Looking around at the moment I seem to be seeing the  word 'hygge'  everywhere, and I think I know the reason why.  Everyone wants to feel happy and cosy especially now as the nights are getting longer and darker.  The concept of 'hygge' if you read any of the definitions out there is a feeling of cosiness, warmth and togetherness.  Now who wouldn't want that? What is really irritating though is if you read anything in connection with it there is an advert for some company or other that can sell you something so you can have some of it in your life.

I would imagine that this word does not have its roots in consumerism which is how it is being used at the moment by the advertisers. I like the idea of embracing the season, the Scandinavian style and keeping warm but I don't like being told to rush out and buy stuff.

So if cosy is your thing you could...



  • Light some candles (preferably ones you already own) they create a nice glow.
  • Curl up with a blanket or throw from your cupboard. (freshly washed for the season)
  • Read a book in bed, you could borrow one from the library or a friend.
  • Have friends over for dinner, cook with what you have in, oven bake, hot pot or stew.
  • Take a flask of your favourite hot drink, wrap up and go for a walk.
  • Arrange you furniture in a new way, near the fire or heat source (do you really need new?)
  • Place some twigs and evergreen foliage in jars, bring the outside in.
  • Wash all your sweaters, gloves and scarves and make them accessible in your wardrobe.
  • Learn to cook a new warming dish. (Try love food hate waste for ingredients you have already)
  • Grab a hot water bottle, a hot drink and settle down with a film on TV or a radio show.
The images circulating with the title hygge at the moment are nice to look at, they may give you ideas and inspiration but I think gratitude is a big part of it. I don't think the idea is so much about how things look  but rather enjoying what you have.  

1 comment:

  1. A woman after my own heart (and purse) well said. Jo xxx

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...