Friday 31 March 2017

Broccoli, Apple and Cashew Soup (Vegan/Gluten free)

I often make myself a nice soup for Friday lunch as I don't work on Fridays and it is nice to not be in a rush and have something home made and healthy.  I have made this soup a couple of times now but I'm only now getting around to posting it.  It is my own recipe and I like it quite thick so the quantity here for me is only 2 servings but very thick and filling.  It would definitely serve 4 as a starter just add more water.



Broccoli, Apple and Cashew Soup

350g Broccoli
60g cashew nuts
1 apple
1 veg stock cube (GF)
300ml water (boiled)
1 red onion
1 level desert spoon vegan cheese sauce powder (optional)
black pepper
Soya single cream (I use Alpro)

Steam the broccoli until tender, for the last few minutes add the chopped apple to the steamer to soften.

  Fry the onion in  a little olive oil until soft, sprinkle the stock cube into the frying pan and add the boiled water, you can also stir in the cheese sauce powder at this point if you are using it.

Pop your cashew nuts in the blender and blitz, if your blender is hand held you can put the nuts in a bag and beat them with a rolling pin, just take care the bag doesn't split. 

Add all ingredients to the blender except the cream and blend, then return to the pan. Continue  heating gently and at this point add a swirl of soya cream and a little black pepper to taste.

There is now a portion in the fridge for me to have tomorrow for supper, I always fancy something on a Saturday evening because we usually eat our dinner earlier so that is one problem solved.  Oldest son tried this last week and it got his approval and that is hard to come by when it comes to food he is fussy.
You can see how thick it is, add as much liquid as you need to your desired consistency.





1 comment:

  1. oh that sounds yum, thanks for sharing the recipe, will give it a go.

    ReplyDelete

I love to read all comments. Please feel free to let me know what kind of posts you prefer.

A Slow Week, A few Books and Pretty PJs

 Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well.  So this week has been brought to a bit of a standstill for me.  I have somehow injured my b...